Safety is a priority for a business owner for their employees and customers. The right janitorial company can play a crucial role in preventing workplace injuries and illnesses. It can also help keep your business in compliant with health and safety regulations. When a customer or employee walk into a facility a key factor to prevent an injury or an illness is to make sure the following items have been done:
Help prevent slips, trips and falls inside and outside your building:
- Parking Lots and Sidewalks – Check for potholes, uneven walkways, broken parking blocks. Properly mark any changes in elevation of walkways. Correctly mark all parking spaces.
- Inside Building: Install non- slip mats in front of doors to wipe wet feet. Place same mats in front of ice machines, sinks and drinking fountains. If there are wet floors, place caution signs.
Proper Lighting and Electrical Components:
- Make sure all emergency lighting is installed and checked regularly to make sure they are working. All exit signs are always visible and illuminated.
- In bathrooms and kitchens should have ground fault breakers. Make sure workstation outlets are not overloaded which could cause a fire.
- Daily disinfecting of bathrooms and cafeterias to stop cross-contamination of the spreading of germs from colds and flu.
Emergency Fire Equipment:
- Make sure all fire alarms, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are hardwired with a battery backup and are checked on a regular basis.
- Check fire escapes to make sure they are functioning and clear of any objects or debris.
- Sprinkler System is up to code and has been inspected and records kept on file.
- Portable Fire Extinguishers should be kept on each floor of the building and easily accessible. Teach each employee how to properly use an extinguisher. The National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) suggests remembering the word PASS: Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism. Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire. Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly. Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
A safe workspace keeps employees productive, attract customers, and protects your business from potential lawsuits. Keeping employees and customers safe isn’t just the right thing to do, it’s also important for your business.
Looking for a commercial janitorial company, please call SERVPRO of Stark County, Building Service Maintenance at 330-497-1773 or fill out a form online.